POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : MegaPov slope-dependent textures : Re: MegaPov slope-dependent textures Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPov slope-dependent textures
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 13 Jan 2001 08:06:13
Message: <3A6052C4.57639B46@gmx.de>
Marc-Hendrik Bremer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I want to texture the part of an object that is  under an "overhang"
> differently from the rest. I.e. I would like to use a slope y (or was
> it -y?) and when it is negative, I want to give the part in -y-direction a
> different pigment even if the slope is positive again.
>
> Is it possible in MegaPov itself?

Sounds tricky, if i understand it right it should look like an object
covered by a thin layer of snow (which would not reach the parts covered
by overhangs).

I posted a simple snowing macro some time ago, but it would be slow and
also modifies the geometry (you could use the object pattern to avoid
this)

If your object is an isosurface or another simple mathematical shape, you
could try to construct a function pattern for that, but it seems quite
difficult to me.

Anyway it would be quite possible to add this as a new internal pattern to
povray.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>